Dissociative identity disorder has been talked about, a lot, in the popular culture. Many movies, even animated films either have characters that identify with this disorder or are based on this disorder. Some of the famous movies are The X-men: The Last stand, A Tale of two sisters, Identity, Me Myself & Irene. It was with the book: Breaking Free: My life with dissociative identity disorder that the world came to know about Herschel walker’s fight with this disorder. Besides him, there are many other prominent celebs like great Lindsay Lohan, legendary Marlin Monroe, who have been supposed to have this disorder and has cost them dearly.
What Is This Disorder All About?
Dissociative identity disorder which is also known as Multiple personality disorder is a described as a presence of more than two and more personality traits also known as alters, reacting to diverse actions, sensations and body working. It is difficult to estimate the occurrence of this disorder as even today there are multiple theories and research that has been talked about, without a common understanding.
It is said that dissociative identity disorder is more prevalent in woman than men. One of the causes of this disorder is a childhood of abusive parenting or history of abuse in an individual’s life.
Reasons & Causes Of Dissociative Identity Disorder:
so far there isn’t a study that proves the exact cause of this disorder. But it is to be believed that child abuse or any childhood trauma creates room for this disorder. When you have a rough childhood, you either tends to rub off the memories basically dissociate with that time of your life. And when these actions become severe, it is contemplated to be DID. It is also believed that if anyone in your family have had DID, there are chances of you been the potential DID victim but not necessarily hereditary transport.
Indications Of A Dissociative Identity Disorder
- Dissociation with memory especially important life events such as marriages, birth of one’s children, the day when you were born etc.
- Drop consciousness of time meaning finding oneself in a place and having no clue how did one ever end up there
- Whenever one is accused of lying habitually
- When few things that are in one’s possession but don’t recollect how did he acquire them
- Meeting people whom one doesn’t know but still feels that he knows them but with a different identity
- When one finds a written content but not in his own writing
- Might hear voices in one’s head which isn’t his
- Unable to recognize oneself in the mirror
- A feeling of unrealism
- A feeling when the individual feels like he is watching a movie about him as oppose to breathing a lifespan of his/her own.
- A feeling of more than one person inside him
Diagnosing Dissociative Identity Disorder
We cannot diagnose DID with a help of a blood test to give us an accurate result. The only way a doctor finds out whether you are suffering from a DID is by conducting a mental health interview with the patient. The interview has questions to typical get to either of the following mentioned parameters:
- Existence of more than two unique identities each with its own pattern of perceived notions, relations and philosophy.
- More than two of the personality takes complete charge of the individual’s mannerism and conduct.
- Lack of ability to remember some of the most important facts of his life which cannot be tagged as forgetfulness.
- The forgetfulness or blacking out isn’t because of the in-take of alcohol or drugs or any medical condition such as seizure or in children because of having a made-up friend or playmate.
Is There Any Treatment For Dissociative Identity Disorder?
One of the most important treatments that work wonders for multiple personality disorder patients is psychotherapy. Psychotherapy involves a shrink speaking to their patients and getting them comfortable with their innermost feelings, anger thereby improving their relationship with the outside world. This is a very slow process so as to keep the DID patient calm without getting any anxiety attack.
The main objective of the therapist is to slowly get a DID patient to believe in all the aspects of the multi personality as against as butchering them at one go. This helps the DID individual to trust the practitioner and start spilling out more details.
Additionally, doctors have been using hypnosis to understand more details about their mental state. Another treatment known as EMDR which is Eye movement desentization and reprocessing is highly useful in such disorders. This treatment helps to augment details processing and therapeutic.
Medications are only given to reduce the side effects of a person suffering from DID which are gloominess, anxiety attacks, anger, impulsive conduct etc. But before using these medicines, it is important to understand their effect on the person suffering from DID. Otherwise it can have reverse-effect on them making them doubly violent and impulsive resulting in complications of DID.
Complications Of The Dissociative Identity Disorder
If proper treatment at the right time isn’t given to the individual, then it is highly likely that the patient can try committing suicides. This attempt goes on forever. Besides, erratic mannerisms and violent conduct, cannot stay stable in any employment, relationship failure and low-esteem lifestyle are the severe effects of the complications. However if the individual is put on a right treatment with a well-qualified psychiatrist, support of friends and family, he is able to live a good life with minimum issues.
Can This Disorder Be Prevented?
As, by far the causes for a multiple personality disorder has been traumatic incidents in the childhood and abusive childhood, prevention of such incidents is the way to curtail these disorders.
Mental disorders are gruesome especially on family and friends. But it is important to note that with a little more of care and concern your loved ones can easily come out of such mental disorders.
So what do you think about the disorder? Any views on that?